Tuesday, October 26, 2010

PDD-NOS

This is the official diagnosis... at least for now. The doc said that to him she is clearly Asperger's but because she is missing one of the core requirements for the diagnosis as set by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), this would put her in the PDD-NOS category - Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified.
It's really confusing, because PDD-NOS covers so many different things. It's the fall back diagnosis for kids who exhibit several signs of one of the ASD's (Autism Spectrum Disorders), but don't fit every requirement of the DSM-IV.
Honestly, I'm not sure right now if this is a diagnosis that could change down the road, or what it means for our family. Based on my research thus far, PDD-NOS is considered to be on the Autism Spectrum and therefore to be a form of Autism, but because it does not have specific criteria like the other ASD's it's much harder to get support such as state services and special education in the schools. Some states do provide services for PDD-NOS just like the other ASDs, but Colorado is not one of them. They exclude Asperger's and PDD-NOS from the state programs. As if these kids wouldn't also benefit from the behavioral therapies and such.

So... I'm not really sure how to get this verified. I mean, I guess a diagnosis from the therapist might be enough, but I don't know. Until I see this in writing somewhere, attached to my child's records, I don't know if it is real. Do I need to get used to saying that my daughter is autistic? She certainly doesn't appear autistic to the average person, but that's part of being PDD-NOS - if she was clearly autistic to the average observer, she'd probably fit into all those requirements of the DSM-IV. Do I say that she is developmentally delayed? She's so smart people will look at me like I'm nuts!

So, for now I guess I just won't say anything. No matter what she is diagnosed with, she is still my beautiful, wonderful little miracle who I thank God for every day.

No comments: