Sunday, July 01, 2007

State Bird

For several weeks there has been a bird perching on the hanging plants outside my living room window. It has a beautiful singing voice and I love when it chooses to grace us with a song. A couple days ago, I discovered a nest in one of the trees in our front yard. Upon investigating, I discovered 4 eggs inside. Some brief research has taught me that they are mockingbird eggs. The mockingbird is the state bird of Texas and is well known for it's beautiful songs. Here are some pics of the eggs and nest.




We also had some birds build a nest in our hanging planter last year, but the eggs were a solid light blue - almost white. I think they were robin eggs, but I'm not positive as I haven't really looked them up. Seems we are pretty popular among the bird community! Must be the bird bath.....

2 comments:

Sunny said...

What amazing pictures!

Furrow said...

The mockingbird is also the state bird of Tennessee. I love blue eggs. The others you saw probably were from Robins. I think they lay the most beautiful eggs in the world.