Monday, July 30, 2007

UPDATED: Majority rules and life sometimes sucks

So, counting my family's predictions, that's 5 votes for boy and 2 for girl.

It's a boy!

Got some possible bad news at the ultrasound. They couldn't 'see' the 4 chambers of the heart. All we could see were 3 - what appeared to be 2 top chambers and 1 large bottom chamber. Ultrasound tech of course says don't worry, we'll just have you come back in a couple weeks to try again. I of course leave freaked out. I don't understand how we could clearly see the heart beating from multiple views and could clearly see the 2 top chambers but would just "not be able to get a clear view of the 4 separate chambers." Seems if you can see the heart pretty well, you should be able to see all of it. But I could be wrong.
Minimal research has shown me that a 3 chamber heart is usually called "Hypoplastic Heart Syndrome". It's not good. It's a major heart defect and would definitely require numerous surgeries. I'm waiting for a dr to call me so I can try to get more information. Perhaps it is just that they weren't able to get a clear picture. Maybe there is nothing wrong. But until I know for sure, I'm going to be pretty freaked out. It's easy to say "Don't worry, there's probably nothing wrong," but it's a lot harder to actually do it!

Please pray for my little guy.

UPDATE:
My hubby went up to the OB clinic, told them what happened and that I was freaking out. We got lucky in that the nurse on duty was not only 28 weeks pregnant, but had also had a similar thing happen to her and her husband worked in radiology. So she called down to radiology and got the scoop. Then she called me, telling me my hubby should get major points because if he hadn't gone up there, I would not have been called today.
Basically, they were not able to see 4 chambers in the heart, as we already knew. However, everything else appears to be fine and as of right now they don't see a reason to be concerned. While it is true that we won't know for sure until at least the next ultrasound, they aren't concerned right now because sometimes these things happen, where they just can't get a good view. It's not common, but it does happen. SO they cannot tell me for sure that there is nothing wrong, because they could not see 4 chambers, but they don't think there is anything wrong.

I feel better knowing that nothing else appeared to be wrong and that they are not concerned. However, if they were not at all concerned, they wouldn't bother with another ultrasound. And they would have told me that there is definitely nothing wrong. So until I see a healthy normal heart I will be worried. We are going to assume that our son is just fine, because we have no reason to believe otherwise. But in the back of my mind, there is going to be that little nagging thing called doubt. So please keep the prayers up until we know for sure that he is ok!

8 comments:

MamaChristy said...

I'm praying and hopeful that everything will be just fine. If I can help distract you, let me know (once I'm sure that my boy is fine and not going to bring sick into your house, of course...).

Furrow said...

Oh, goodness. I can imagine how hard it will be to wait for the next US. I'll be hoping and praying that everything is fine.

But, to focus on the good news --- a boy! That's exciting!

Mony said...

A Boy!
That's just lovely!
Of course, a prayer for your little man. I am beginning to hate Ultrasounds because of all the possible "doubts & fears" they produce.
I know when I had my scan last week they saw the 4 chambers of the heart but couldn't get agood pic of the upper spine. The tech prodded & poked & I laid there terrified that Hef had a spinal defect. They saw it eventually but not after I'd had a panic attack. It's HARD work!

Stubborn Mom said...

OOOps i was wrong..
A boy!

I will keep praying that your boy will be healthy

buggsmommy said...

I've definitely heard of them needing to go back again to look. It happened to me and when I went in 2+ weeks later (with my son) they saw all that they needed to. I'm pretty convinced that if they were really worried...you'd be in the next day with a higher tech ultrasound machine. I'll be thinking of you! Keep us posted :)

Chris said...

I hope they get that next ultrasound scheduled SOON.

Congrats on your little guy. Many prayers that he is perfectly healthy will be heading your way.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I'm definitely keeping him (HIM!) in my thoughts and I've brought the Jamaican Rum Cream too.

Can they make the next ultrasound appointment soon? Is there a reason for a long wait? Or anything longer than a week-long wait?

Caro said...

Thanks for stopping by.

And a boy! - how exciting - I'll be crossing my fingers for the next ultrasound to be fine.