Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Trying to be a big girl (talking about kids&potty training)

This is a post about my daughter. She is 2 and a half and we have been trying to potty train since before she was 2. She has had steps forward and steps backward, but for more than a month now she has been waking up in the morning with a dry diaper and using the potty. Usually she will go #1 on the potty one more time during the day. I've been trying to get her to wear big girl panties for a while now to kind of force the potty training a little. She is definitely ready and able to control her bladder, etc. She just refuses to go #2 on the potty. This morning she went peepee on the potty twice then asked to wear big girl panties. I told her if she wears big girl panties she has to go peepee and poopoo on the potty, she can't go in her panties. She has had them on all day now and has gone peepee 3 more times on the potty. But no #2. I honestly have no idea how to convince this child to go #2 on the potty! She should be napping right now but I know as soon as I put a diaper on her she's going to go #2 and I don't want to go back to diapers. That's the worst thing to do when potty training is switch back and forth. She is so ready for this but so darned stubborn! We should be napping together in my bed right now (and boy could I use it!) but I don't want her to go #2 in her sleep and make a big mess. I'm at a loss. We've tried bribery, rewards, etc. She always gets lot of praise when she uses the potty. She seems to really enjoy wearing the panties. And she really is doing great today, I'm so proud of her for asking to wear the panties and not going peepee in them all day. But I have no idea what I'm doing here and apparently must be doing something wrong because she refuses to go #2. And I know she should need to go by now. She drank a lot of milk this morning and that usually guarantees us a lunch time stinky diaper. I thought for sure I was setting her up for her big reward by giving her all that milk this morning. But nope, doesn't seem to be working. ANd now we won't even get our nap so we're both going to end up on each other's nerves! Okay, she'll end up on my nerves because she'll be super-hyper. Which for her is impossible to explain because she is very hyper to begin with!

Anyways, guess I just needed to vent a little bit. I am feeling exhausted lately and everything is stressing me out and this is just the cherry on top.

Hope everyone else is having a great day!

2 comments:

MamaChristy said...

You told me a couple months ago that you would be happy if she would just poop in a diaper and pee in the potty the rest of the time. Perhaps that's the concession you have to make right now.

You know that your girl is way ahead of my boy on this. I don't think he has woken up with a dry diaper except for once and then it was only because he was sick and dehydrated! :)

hammygirl said...

We had issues with M going #2 on the potty for the longest time... She'd been #1 trained for almost a year before we got #2 sorted out. The only advice I can give is it takes the patience of a saint to get through the second part, so make sure you take good care of your own needs as well. Good luck!