Friday, October 20, 2006

Miracle?

Well, I'm still alive. 24 hours after starting the uber-doses of birth control pills, the bleeding slowed significantly. 72 hours later and it is pretty much gone. The birth control is doing a real number on me (major mood swings and super-fatigue), but I think anything is better than continuing to lose blood at the rate I was.
So, since noone chose to guess, I won't reveal the numbers. But, I will tell you that based on my calculations (using how much blood a super-plus tampon holds times approx how many I went through in the 4 days the flood of 2006 lasted), I lost somewhere in the vicinity of 2 pints of blood in 4 days. How my body kept up with it, I don't know, but based on lab results I was producing it as fast as I was losing it. When you donate blood, you donate 1 pint. Supposedly the body replenishes the plasma in 24 hours and the cells in about a week. However, you are generally only allowed to donate every 2 months to allow the body to fully recover and replenish. The human body is an amazing thing.

No comments: